Jul 13, 2016

Use This, Not That #1

Hi guys! Have you seen those books that are titled Eat This, Not That? I wanted to do a series of blog posts that are similar, but instead of food - ok, some food might creep in here - I wanted to focus on other things that we use all the time, like cleaning products (fun, I know!) and personal care products. I recently became aware of the harmful ingredients in a lot of the stuff that we use everyday, including makeup, shampoo, soap, lotion, perfume and cologne, toothpaste, sunscreen, dryer sheets, scented candles, household cleansers and more. I'm going to list some of my favorite alternatives to the products you may be using that are potentially harmful to your health and hopefully inspire you to make some positive changes!

Here goes:

1. Makeup

If you know me, you know how much I LOVE makeup. I even dabbled with being a makeup artist for a bit! One of my favorite things to do back before my BFF's and I were married with kiddos was go get our makeup done at Nordstrom. We pretty much used any excuse we could, like birthdays, bachelorette parties, or just if we were in the mood for new makeup to go and get dolled up at a makeup counter. It was so relaxing and I just loved the result of a professional makeup artist doing my makeup! Unfortunately, I had no idea what we were putting on our skin! From dangerous heavy metals, like lead, which can actually cross through the blood-brain barrier, to formaldehyde, which is directly linked to cancer, most women are putting multiple personal care and beauty items on their skin a day while unknowingly putting their health at risk. Just think about how many products you use everyday. I use a moisturizer, foundation, concealer, mascara and lip balm at least, and some days add eye shadow, eye liner, blush and lip gloss or lipstick. Now think about the multiple ingredients in all of those products. If they are harmful, and most are, then we are literally layering carcinogens and allergens on our skin every.single.day. 

I recently learned about Beautycounter, a brand of makeup that is doing things differently. They have a never list - a list of harmful ingredients that will never be used in any of their products. They are also passionate about making changes and taking this issue, a serious health issue for many women, to Washington DC to make some real changes. Did you know that there hasn't been a major change to the laws regulating the safety of beauty products since 1938??? The UK bans 1300 harmful ingredients in beauty products. The US bans 11. That's right. ELEVEN!! Beautycounter bans over 1500. I started using their Tint Skin foundation, under-eye concealer and mascara recently, and I love them all. I'm going to eventually overhaul my whole makeup bag but thought these were the best products to start out with. I strongly urge all of you to take a look at what is in your makeup bag and research the ingredients. With the internet at your fingertips, it won't take long and it is so worth it. You can even install an app on your phone that will let you know how a product rates in terms of safety. I use Think Dirty, but there's also EWG's Healthy Living or EWG's Skin Deep cosmetics database.


Winning combo: Beautycounter's Tint Skin Foundation and Real Techniques Expert Face Brush

There are quite a few brands out there that have much safer ingredients than the commonly used drug store brands or even department store brands, and even if you just switch out one product, you are doing yourself some good!

2. Sunscreen

We try our best to protect our kids from the harmful rays of the sun and prevent sunburns. But sometimes the ingredients in sunscreen actually do more harm than good! Check out the EWG's list of worst sunscreens for kids. If you are using one of them, throw it out! Some of them may actually contribute to skin cancer, disrupt hormones, and in the case of spray sunscreens, are super dangerous if inhaled! Read up on the best scoring options for your sweet kiddos and you'll have the peace of mind knowing that when they are playing at the waterpark, pool, or beach, that they are protected and the ingredients are completely safe. Check out this post by Wellness Mama for even more info on sunscreen safety.

3. Perfume and Cologne

This one was another eye-opener for me. I had no idea that any product with synthetic fragrance was basically toxic, perfume and cologne being some pretty huge culprits. I used to give cologne and perfume as gifts and was always happy to receive it as a gift! Do yourself a favor though and break up with your perfume! Would you spray any liquid on yourself if you knew it was linked to cancer, birth defects, nervous system disorders, allergies, or reproductive issues? I hope the answer is NOOOOO!

If you don't want to go completely without fragrance, essential oils are the way to go. They smell amazing and are actually good for you! Just be sure you are using a brand that is organic and contains no synthetics. I recommend and use Young Living essential oils. I love the smell of Lemongrass and will add a drop to my wrists and put a little behind my ears (one drop goes a long way). Lavender and cedarwood are also really nice. I'll add some to my scalp to promote hair growth and my hair acts as a diffuser and I can smell it throughout the day! Young Living's product line is huge so there are tons to choose from and something to suit every taste (floral, woodsy, musky, etc.)! You can even make your own perfume blends! Here is one from an awesome essential oils educator, Jen O'Sullivan. Check out her website, she is such an amazing resource!

Lime Cake Fragrance

In a 5mL atomizer combine 6 drops Young Living Lime and 3 drops each of Young Living Cedarwood and Young Living Lavender. Add 2 drops Eden's Garden vanilla. Mix well and then add 6 drops sweet almond or grapeseed carrier oil. Mix well again and then add almost to the top 190 proof Everclear alcohol (you can use anything between 100 proof to 190 proof). Shake vigorously for 60 seconds then add 10-12 drops of bottled water and shake again. You can also add this to a roller bottle instead of an atomizer, just omit the alcohol and top with more carrier oil. :)


There are also great options for men!

Here is one that Jen calls Strength in a Bottle:

5 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce
3 drops Idaho Blue Spruce
2 drops Sacred Frankincense
2 drops Pine
1 drop Cedarwood
1 drop Bergamot
1 drop Vanilla absolute (she uses Eden's Garden)

Put this all in a roller bottle and top off with sweet almond oil.

Ok, friends, that's it for this edition of Use This, Not That. There are TONS more products out there that I want to discuss but I thought these were the most important to start out with.

I was looking through magazines the past few days, something I rarely do anymore, and all of the ads are for toxin-filled cosmetics and fragrances. I wish someone would create a magazine with pages full of healthy options! If there is one out there that I don't know about, please comment below and let me know! It makes me sad/angry that we are using products everyday, without knowing the real dangers of them. It isn't right. It shouldn't be legal. I urge you to share this post with anyone that you love and that may be interested in swapping out their potentially hazardous products for healthier alternatives. And if someone shared this post with you, then you know you are loved! ;)

Remember, we only get one shot at this life! Let's make it the very best!









  






No comments:

Post a Comment